Friday, August 27, 2010

Tuna Salad and Mom's Meatloaf


I needed some lunches for the work week and decided what better way to have lunch and be productive at the same time, than cooking some recipe book items. I made Tuna Salad (from Curves and my cousin Penny) recipe here and My Mother's Meatloaf, which is really rather kind of healthy (from my Mom). I used grass-fed ground beef to make the dish taste better and be better for my tum. The oatmeal is a nice touch instead of breadcrumbs (I am sorry breadcrumbs...you know I love you dearly). I mixed it all up (a little grossed out by my bowl of meat) and got it cooking in the oven. Alright, cook for 45 minutes to an hour, I can do that. As I waited, I chopped and mixed up the tuna salad. I am still a little weary of seafood. I never really had much seafood growing up and it all still has the distinct 'fishy' smell and taste to me. Maybe it is because I have always lived in a land-locked state...but seafood isn't really my thing. I have recently weaned myself on shrimp and the tuna salad wasn't too bad. Still not really my favorite...
So I check on the meatloaf...I glance at the microwave clock to see how much time I have left. Funny...the clock just reads the time. Shoots! Someone forgot to set a timer or even look at a clock when she put the meatloaf in...typical! I used a tactic I think most normal people can figure out...the technical term is 'eyeballing'. I am hoping it is done! At least the meat was grass-fed...
Although these dishes were both yummy...I am darn right tired of eating them after 3 days. Pasta and cheese anyone?

Mom’s Meatloaf
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 egg
• ½ cup uncooked oatmeal
• ¼ cup chopped onion
• ½ can tomato soup
• Salt, pepper, and crushed garlic (to taste)
• ¼ cup yellow mustard
Mix all ingredients together. But in a bread loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350°F. Pour off grease.

I topped mine with Not Your Traditional Ketchup from Sauce for a Cause. More to come on Sauce for a Cause soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment