Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dinner with Dad: Avocado and Caramelized Onion Burgers

My Mom is out of town, so I thought it might be a good idea to go feed my dad and sister so they didn't have to starve to death. Or actually they would have had popcorn and PBJ sandwiches...but still, not a great dinner. I tried to very nonchalantly sneak healthy food into their diet. They eat good when my Mom is home but on their own...they are hopeless. There was some resistance...but I held firm! And the best part? This meal is Candida safe! Grass-fed, organic, Colorado ground beef with caramelized onions and avocado with 'healthy' fries and garlic organic green beans. What a tongue twister!

So here are the wonderful caramelized onions that topped the grass-fed burger. They may have gotten a little crispy...but no complaints here.
The complete burger. Grass-fed, organic, local Colorado ground beef topped with an avocado and caramelized onions. And since I can't eat buns right now and my dad and sister don't like them anyway; the burger was served sans the bun. My dad said the beef tasted normal, but my sister was not as happy. She noticed a difference in the flavor and couldn't finish hers. I will say that grass-fed isn't as sweet as corn-fed beef and that may account for a taste difference. I tried to get her to push past the new taste and think about how much healthier the beef was.
It seems that you can't eat a burger without some kind of potato; these are 'heathy' fries though. First of all, I used little red potatoes that are approved for the Candida diet. Second, I coated them in egg instead of oil. Third, I baked them instead of frying them. Add a little salt, pepper and garlic and oh gosh...heaven! Leave the skins on for the nutrients.


 

1 comment:

  1. I hope that Dad never reads this post and realizes what Boulderized food you subjected him to. For that matter I hope Shan doesn't read it either. I am proud of the meal, it looks good, and I can't wait for you to come up and cook for me, :)

    ReplyDelete