Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Shrimp Ball, Spinach Dip, Tequila Lime Chicken, Cheddar Cheese Soup, Chocolate Mocha Trifle

I think I put too much on my plate for this night of cooking (pun intended). I am going to Ali and Rob’s house on Friday and wanted to bring them as much food as possible. Those mountain folk need some good eats after a full day of tipping cows and sitting in their overalls. But instead of getting right down to it, I went to a Happy Hour with some ladies from work. We had so much fun, good drinks and good food; but when 7:30 rolled around I was just leaving to grocery shop. I spent a long time trying to find canned shrimp and felt disgusted that canned shrimp even existed and even more disgusted that I was purchasing canned shrimp. Turns out it’s in the canned food aisle…tricky. I then picked up a package of chicken breasts which apparently was not sealed very well and I had no idea you were suppose to bag them up. GROSS! I had chicken juices all over my hand and nothing to wipe it off with. I choose my pants, and forgot about the leaky chicken in my cart. As I checked out, the poor bagger guy got the short end of the chicken stick and was covered as well in chicken juices. I apologized for forgetting to tell him but he was not amused. I got home after 8 and was discouraged by all the cooking I had to do. The Shrimp ball was from Gretchen, the Tequila Lime Chicken was from Penny and the rest were from my mom. I was cooking quick and dirty, trying to get done with the whole ordeal. I broke down and just touched the chicken. I tried not to think about it. The recipe calls for tequila as stated in the name, and my cooking frustrations got the best of me. I sloppily took a few swigs straight out of the bottle; maybe this is why the chicken cutting was easier?
In my drunken haste I used my special technique for juicing limes and oranges. I cut them in half and squeezed as much of the juice out as I could, then I bit into the rind with my teeth to help get the rest of the juice out. It really doesn’t spread my germs because I never bite all the way through the rind. It is an effective technique, but tastes like crap and something in the rind made my lips burn like crazy. I finished the limes and oranges with sore lips and took another swig of tequila to help the pain. OUCH! The alcohol just made my lips burn even more. I HATE COOKING!
I made a cheddar soup which had a heavenly cheese sauce added to it. The Spinach dip and Shrimp ball were easy enough (except for Max’s obsession with the shrimp). The Chocolate Mocha Trifle was a little bit more work but will taste amazing. I tried to buy toffee bars to crumble in this dish, but accidentally bought chocolate bars with soft toffee in the middle. At the beginning of this whole process I may have worried about it, but at this point, it will have to do. Dessert is dessert! I only made it through 5 of the 6 recipes I had planned on making but I couldn’t cook any longer. I stood defeated in the kitchen wearing sweatpants, a Lockheed Martin Pluto shirt, my apron covered in citrus juices and bright red lips. What a sight I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment