Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chili Rellanos, Tofu Tacos with Pico, Spanish Rice, Rice Bowls, Huevos rancheros

Mexican food night! Jennifer promised me she would come over sometime and show me how to make the recipes she gave me. I decided to make a dinner of it and invite over some friends; Jennifer, Kori, Amanda, Jeff, Kevin and Craig (we missed you Mike!). I set out some appetizers; fruit, chips, and chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels (awesome I know). Jennifer and I got to cooking! Jennifer made the chili rellanos while I watched and took mental notes for next time. Kori assisted beautifully in stirring the eggs for Jennifer as well as helping me with the tofu. Jeff chopped up the ingredients for the pico de gallo. It was almost a crisis when I told him to ‘blend’ the ingredients. I meant stir it up, but he got out the blender and was about to turn it on. I said “what are you doing! No! It is supposed to be chunky” he said, “You said blend! So I am blending!” I explained what I meant and the Pico was saved just in the nick of time. I cooked up the Spanish rice, beans, and tofu; with help and guidance from Jennifer. Amanda kept us company in the kitchen, as there really wasn’t room for one more person cooking and the boys played Mario on the Wii. Amanda, Kori and Kevin brought some wine to share, thanks! It was such a beautiful sight! It felt like how cooking should be. A group of friends or a family all bumping around each other in the kitchen. All four burners going, taste tests, smells drifting through the air, problems, solutions, burns, and most importantly laughs. The food came out in courses as it was difficult to have it all ready at once. Once a dish was completed we put it on the kitchen table and gave out a ‘come and get it’ announcement. The girls ate at the dining room table and chatted as girls do. The boys ate on the couch in between taking turns trying to beat Bowzer.
The chili rellanos were the highlight of the evening. When the plate had only 2 left sitting on it, you could tell people were on edge to see who would eat them. The Tofu Tacos were really good, the pico de gallo was extremely fresh. The Spanish rice was difficult to make but was well worth it. The Rice bowls were a mixture of the rice, black beans, cheese, tortilla chips, lettuce, salsa and sour cream. It is a simple dish that pretty much covers all your food groups. The huevos rancheros were easier than I thought they would be to make. The only downfall was an undercooked egg that Kori got. Sorry about that!
As the night wound down, Jeff did all the dishes for me. I am so lucky! Thank you friends for a wonderful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment