Thursday, December 2, 2010

Three-Bean Chili and Fried Rice

I was invited to celebrate my coworker Sherry's birthday at a potluck. My other coworker and friend Rose, gave me a three-bean chili recipe for the book and I decided to make it for the potluck. I didn't mention to her that this was my plan, but she told me she was making chicken wings so I wasn't worried. I show up with my big crock pot and send her an email telling her that I made the chili and I would see her at lunch. She calls me up and says, "its been a day!" After telling me about how a singing card came to the office for Sherry, she also told me about her dish for the potluck. She made the chicken wings and put them in the oven, then she woke up 2 hours later to find that her poor little wings were burnt to a crisp! So as backup, guess what she brought....three-bean chili! So we ended up with two big crock pots of the chili, but I don't think anyone minded as it was so good.

I cooked up some fried rice to have around the house. I left out the ham because I was feeling a little ick about the packaged ham at the store. The flavor was very good and I can see how this dish would go well with all kinds of dishes.
Three-bean Chile
1 yellow pepper
1 small onion
3/4 cup of salsa
1 cup of chicken broth
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 can each of three different types of beans (chili, black, kidney-red or white)
1 teaspoon cumin
Brown pepper and onion. Then, add the remaining ingredients, mix and heat. Garnish with cheese and/or green onion.


Fried Rice
• 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
• 2 beaten eggs
• ½ cup diced fully cooked ham or port strips
• ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
• ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
• ½ tsp ginger
• Dash pepper
• 3 cups cooked rice
• 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add cooked meat, mushrooms, onion, ginger, and pepper in hot oil for 3 minutes. Stir in cooked rice and add egg, stir over medium heat until eggs are cooked. Sprinkle with soy sauce and 1 Tbsp. water. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through tossing gently to coat with soy sauce.
Vegetarian: Prepare as above except add ½ cup veggie instead of ham.

1 comment: