Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thanksgiving - Sweets

I have a secret for you...my family has a HUGE sweet tooth! Well actually many sweet teeth :) So of course, we have desserts coming out of our ears!
This Creamy Pumpkin dip recipe is from friends of Rob. The dish is...well...creamy, pumpkin flavored and a dip! So I guess the name works out. Plus, it fulfills a sweet craving as it is more of a dessert dip.
Now I do not have the recipe for these guys below, but darn it I will get it! This is from Jennifer's boyfriend Christan. He is from Romania and this is one of his mother's recipes. The best I can describe the dessert below: flaky, sweet crust filled with peanuts and fruit (I don't know which kind of fruit). For me, sometimes desserts are too sweet, but this one is a nice blend of peanut and fruit flavors and a touch of sweet.
These are Sticky Buns from Liz. This recipe is definitely going to stick as a favorite for me. I love the mixture of the doughy texture with the sweet cinnamon glaze. Heaven!
Fry bread. This tradition is fairly new and by fairly new I mean a couple of years. Most traditions in my family have been in place since 'before I was born'. I am hoping this tradition continues to stay, though, because these are awesome. I mean come on, fried bread!
Do you remember when I tried (and failed horribly) at making Heath Candy? I was spared the embarrassment of a junkie picture in the cookbook when Jenny decided to make her Heath Candy recipe herself. Redemption!

Creamy Pumpkin Dip
• 2 – 8 oz pkgs. cream cheese – softened
• 1 – 16 oz pkg. powdered sugar, sifted
• 1 – 16 oz can pumpkin
• 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy, gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover and chill serve with ginger snaps.

Sticky Buns
• 2 cans Pillsbury biscuits
• ½ cup whipping cream
• 1 cup brown sugar
• Cinnamon
Cut each biscuit into quarters. Mix cream and brown sugar on bottom of 9x13in pan that has been greased. Put biscuits on top and turn to soak both sides. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. Invert pan into foil right away.

Heath Candy
• 1 lb butter
• 2 cups sugar
• ¼ cup water
• 2 – 7 oz herseys bars
• Nuts
Cook over medium heat until 310°F. Pour onto well buttered cookies sheet. Chunk 2 – 1 oz herseys bars on top and smooth when melted. Sprinkle with nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment