Monday, December 20, 2010

Mike's Meat Sauce for Pasta

This recipe is easy in the sense of ingredients and preparation, but difficult because you need a lot of cooking time. The cooking instructions are ALL DAY! I could have started it in the morning and left it until after work, but I didn't trust an orange, furry little creature to leave it alone. If you are not cooking for a small army, I would recommend cutting the recipe in half or freezing portions for later.
The flavor is good on this sauce! There is something to be said for a sauce that simmers all day. Only one problem; I guess my arm has a little more gusto than it should and I ended up with red sauce on not one, but two shirts. I am thinking I should wear a full body plastic bag when I cook :)
Mike's Meat Sauce for Pasta
• 1 lb ground beef
• 1 lb Italian sausage
• Medium onion, chopped
• ½ bell pepper (red or yellow)
• 1 small can tomato paste
• 3 gloves garlic, finely chopped
• Mushrooms, chopped
• 1 large(industrial size) tomato sauce
• Sugar or red wine to taste
Sauté onion, pepper and garlic in a skillet in a little olive oil. In the same pan, brown the meat. Empty the sauce into your largest pot. Stir in tomato paste and sugar and wine. Add meat and vegetables. Simmer all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment