Monday, March 15, 2010

No Bake Cheesecake, Red Wine-Rosemary Steak, and Cream Cheese Stuffed new Potatoes

On Saturday I cooked up a little dessert recipe to bring over to ‘Oscars girls night’ at Amanda's apartment. I made the No bake Cheesecake, brought to you by Mom. This recipe is EASY and tastes just like labor-intensive cheesecake. I went to the grocery store after a stiff cocktail at Mary’s 50th birthday party. I only needed a few ingredients and rushed to get them all, completely forgetting about the cheese samples. I realized this when I was already halfway home, and considered going back. I think that makes me an official fat kid if I drive back to the store for cheese cubes…so, I declined. I get home and take a nice long nap until 10pm (I know, don’t you wish your Saturday was this exciting?). I awake with energy and do the impossible: mix the ingredients (cool whip, sour cream, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla) and plop them into a readymade pie crust. As I wipe the sweat from my brow after this laborious venture, I put the cheesecake in the fridge and call it a night.
Fast forward to Sunday. Jennifer and I drive down to Broomfield to Amanda’s for our girl’s night. Amanda made some delicious food that is going to make the cut for the recipe book. First course: Limón cello blueberry martinis with a sprig of mint (added points for making a martini the first course). Second course: baguettes drizzled with olive oil and topped with a tomato, melted mozzarella chunks and basil, then drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. Third Course: mixed greens salad with pecans, cranberries, blue cheese, and a raspberry vinaigrette. Fourth Course: fermented grapes left over from Jeff and my Valentine’s dinner. Fifth course: the No Bake Cheesecake topped with leftover Mybest fudge from last week, caramel and pecans….TURTLE! Oh yea and a side of cherry pie filling for good measure. We didn’t actually watch the Oscars, but chatted as girls do and spent a long time discussing workout routines (as we stuffed our faces full of yummyness).
Fast forward (well actually not that fast, days go by slow in the corporate world) to Tuesday night. Jeff has decided to make me dinner. He is a really good cook and the food he made was no exception. He looked up some recipes on foodnetwork.com and came up with an entrée and a side. He made a red wine and rosemary hanger steak (there was a little bit more to the recipe than that…bay leaves, onions and other vegetables/spices). Then the cru de gra….a recipe by the Southern Belle, Food Network star, butter loving temptress…Paula Deen; Cream cheese stuffed new Potatoes. So he cooked some little red potatoes and scooped a bowl out of the top of them. Then he mixed garlic and herb cheese, heavy whipping cream and butter and scooped it into the potatoes. Check the scale, cause I think you just gained 5 pounds reading this. As I enjoyed my steak and licked the melting butter off the side of the potatoes Max looked on in jealously that he too, could not be a human.

1 comment:

  1. Jenna! I love this blog. Your entries bring a smile to my face. I am definitely want a copy of the cookbook! Keep cooking...your pictures make my mouth water.

    P.S. Good to see you a few weeks ago...I miss you and your family!

    Amy Schardt

    ReplyDelete